Our public policy work supports UWRI’s strategic goal of changing the lives of 250,000 Rhode Islanders.
Rhode Islanders are in stable, affordable housing.
- Create a permanent funding stream to provide capital for long term housing development.
- Protect the dedicated funding stream for housing rental vouchers. This funding supports the implementation of Opening Doors, the state’s plan to end homelessness.
Rhode Islanders will have access to lifelong learning.
- Implement strategies that will help reach the goal of 75 percent of third graders reading at grade level or higher by 2025.
- Increase funding to the Rhode Island Department of Education for quality afterschool and summer learning programming.
- Increase funding to the Rhode Island Department of Education for adult education to accommodate the estimated 1,000+ adults on waitlists for classes statewide, only a fraction of the more than 80,000 working-age Rhode Islanders who lack a high school diploma or equivalency.
Rhode Islanders are financially secure.
- Expand the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) – Advocate to expand the credit to 20% so more low-income workers are eligible to receive a larger refund.
Want more details?