Our Purpose: Changing lives and strengthening our community, together.
Our Five Core Values
Our critical role in the community requires that all of us involved in UWRI must assume the responsibility of earning public trust through all that we do. This bond of trust goes far beyond legal or regulatory requirements to include our core values and ethics. To fulfill this special obligation, these five core values provide the foundation on which we base all our actions and decisions.
1. Integrity: We act with integrity that inspires the highest truth.
We stand as “one” in the relentless pursuit of instilling and promoting public confidence and trust.
- We maintain the highest standards of excellence and accountability, including prudent use of finances, and fair, accurate, and honest disclosures of information.
- We keep our promises. People know it: “United Way makes my caring count.”
2. Impact: We make a difference in the lives of people in need.
This is serious business. We make a positive difference and have a measurable impact of enduring consequence.
- We make a difference in our statewide community. Our efforts change lives.
- We are committed to a United Way that is relevant to its people, its community, and our times.
- We assume responsibility as good stewards, and are accountable for our work and sustainable results.
3. Engagement: Building strong and trusting relationships internally and externally is our overarching strategy.
We are made relevant and impactful when we build positive relationships and unite the community.
- United Way of Rhode Island cannot realize its mission alone. Our relationships with our volunteers and community partners are critical to our ability to realize our mission.
- United Way is outstanding in the way it offers its volunteers meaningful opportunities to express their philanthropic beliefs.
4. Inclusiveness: We value every person.
We are strong only when we are inclusive.
- We believe in a movement built from the rich diversity and gifts of all people.
- We aspire to involve every segment of the community in our work.
- We act in ways that respect the dignity, uniqueness, and intrinsic worth of every person -the community, our donors, our own staff and families, boards, and volunteers.
5. Catalytic Leadership: We are proactive. We play to win not to avoid losing.
We initiate leadership for community building to create and sustain positive change.
- We are effective educators and conveners – mobilizing all segments of the community together to promote individual well-being and common good.
- We draw on our expertise and resources to provide active leadership when appropriate.
- We are leaders of a process that multiplies the impact of people’s desire and capacity to care for one another.
- We help transform visions of compassion and giving into dynamic reality.